The Gold Coast Road policing Unit are seeking your help in again highlighting the following issues and complaints that we get each year. We like to see everyone safe in and around our schools and if parents could take note of the following and adhere to the road rules we can create a safe environment for all. We understand that this time of year sees new school children arriving at most schools and this is often an exciting and stressful time for both parents and students. Remember that by not adhering to the road rules you are placing both your own children and the children of others at risk of injury or worse.
By now hopefully all parents are aware of the 40km/h speed limits during school times. Fines for exceeding the speed limit are as follows.
Exceed speed limit in school zone by:
- less than 13km/h - $157 1 Point
- at least 13km/h but not more than 20km/h - $235, 3 Points
- more than 20km/h but not more than 30km/h - $392, 4 Points
- more than 30km/h but not more than 40km/h - $549, 6 Points
- more than 40km/h - $1,099, 8 Points.
The most common parking complaints and offences:
- Fail to stop at children’s crossing when ‘Stop’ sign displayed - $353, 3 Points
General road rules
- Driver fail to wear seatbelt - $353, 3 Points
- Driver drive with unrestrained passenger 16 years old or older - $353, 3 Points
- Drive motor vehicle while passenger < 6 months old unrestrained - $353, 3 Points
- Drive motor vehicle while passenger at least 6 months old but < 4 years old unrestrained -$353, 3 Points
- Drive motor vehicle while passenger at least 4 years old but < 7 years old unrestrained - $353, 3 Points
- Drive motor vehicle with more than one row of seats while passenger < 4 years in front Row - $353, 3 Points
- Drive motor vehicle with more than one row of seats while passenger aged 4 years to < 7 years in front row and other seats not occupied by children aged < 7 years - $353, 3 Points
- Drive motor vehicle while passenger at least 7 years but < 16 years unrestrained - $353, 3 Points
- Drive vehicle with passenger at least 7 years but < 16 years in same seat position as another passenger - $353, 3 Points
- Driver use hand-held mobile phone - $353, 3 Points
For those that have students driving to school:
- P1 type holder fail to display legible red plate at rear of motorbike - $188, 2 Points
- P1 type holder fail to display legible red plates at front and rear of car - $188, 2 Points
Thanks again for your assistance in creating a safe road environment in and around school and the Gold Coast in general.