Jackie Atkinson, RN RPN GDAN (Family, Child and Youth Health) is our school-based youth health nurse. Nurse Jackie can be contacted on her work phone, 0432 00 5265, via email
email@example.com usually available in her office located in the Library in P5, Thursday and Friday.
School-based youth health nurses work with their local school community on issues that may affect the health and well being of young people and the school community as a whole. This includes helping with curriculum, teaching and learning activities, providing health information and referrals, developing an environment and culture that supports health and well being and working with community and other services.
The school-based youth health nurse can therefore provide:
- confidential consultations to individuals and groups
- health education and promotion in all areas of the school, including classes, assemblies, meetings, etc.
- support for others in their health education and/or promotion roles
- referral to, and liaison with (when appropriate) services to improve the health and well being of individuals, families and the whole school community.
School-based youth health nurses can assist in providing health and well being information on a wide range of issues including mental health, sexual health, addiction, physical health and activity, healthy nutrition, hygiene, skin conditions, management of chronic illnesses such as diabetes and asthma particularly in the school environment.
In an emergency call 000, or if this is not accessible call 112 from your mobile, for access to police, fire or ambulance services.
Useful health resources include:
- 1300 HEALTH Queensland health phone line
- 13 11 26 Poisons Information
Kids helpline website, 1800 55 1800
- Gold Coast Sexual Health Clinic 2019 Gold Coast Highway, Miami (07) 5576 9033
Child and youth health - South Australian government site with Child and Youth Health information