Vocational Education and Training (VET) is a learning pathway available for young people in senior secondary. VET provides students with the opportunity to engage in education and training which may lead to employment and/or further study. Successful completion of VET provides students with nationally recognised qualifications that deliver the skills and knowledge required for specific industries and occupations.
VET qualifications can be undertaken in Years 10, 11 and 12 and may provide credit towards the Queensland Certificate of Education.
Benefits of participating in VET include (but are not limited to):
- obtaining practical experience from work
- gaining familiarity on how workplaces operate
- developing employability skills
- developing and improving interpersonal skills
- allowing students to explore the potential career path they would like to pursue.
Nationally recognised VET must be delivered by a registered training organisation (RTO).
School VET Weblinks:
Additional Weblinks and Information:
Fee-Free TAFE 2023 on the Gold Coast:
Gold Coast recent school leavers and other locals looking to upskill or change careers are being encourage to enrol in one of the 37,000 Fee-Free TAFE places available across Queensland in 2023. Minister for Training and Skills Development Di Farmer said "Fee-Free TAFE is a great opportunity for recent graduates from the Gold Coast region to create a pathway to their dream career."
Minister for Science and Youth Affairs and Member for Gaven Meaghan Scanlon said "TAFE was easily one of the top options for young Gold Coasters and Gold Coasters in general who want to gain valuable skills and a good job."
Popular courses being studies across the Gold Coast include:
- Certificate IV in Residiential Drafting
- Certificate III in Business (Business Administration)
- Diploma of Applied Blockchain
- Certificate III in Pathology Collection
- Certificate IV in Cyber Security
- Diploma of Nursing (*eligible to First Nations Australians, people with a disability or people from a cultural and linguistically diverse background)
- Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Diploma of Music (Sound Production)
- Certificate III in Information Technology
Minister Scanlon said "Fee-Free TAFE provides a wonderful opportunity for Gold Coast residents to address that future skills demand now."
TAFE Queensland has campuses at Ashmore, Southport, Robina, Coomera and Coolangatta.